There are some foods that should never be given to any dog.
- Chocolate contains theobromine, a naturally occuring chemical that is poisonous the dog. It affects the central nervous system and in sufficient quantities can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and death. Carob, on the other hand, is a safe alternative for chocolate, and can be used in homemade dog treats. Dogs love the flavor.
- Grapes and raisins can cause kidney damage.
- Avocado can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Onions and garlic contain toxins that destroy red blood cells, resulting in anemia.
- Macadamia nuts, even in small amounts, contain a toxin which affects the nervous and digestive systems, and muscles. Walnuts should also be avoided as some old nuts may contain similar toxins.
That being said, there are some wholesome food products which can safely be incorporated into your recipes. I use whole wheat flour, brown rice flour, spelt flour, rye flour, oats, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, parsley, carrots, carob, peanut butter, and ginger for my treats.
You can use your cookie cutters for cute shapes, or just cut into squares. Make them thick or thin, large or small. Recipes can be found on the web. Baking for your dog is a fast and fun experience. Just be forewarned! Your dogs may love your home baked treats so well they may never want the commercial products again!